Who can attend?

Ranum Efterskole College is open to Danish and international learners from the age of 14 to the age of 18. Danish learners can enrol in IGCSE class after they have finished either 8th grade or 9th grade, international learners can enrol in IGCSE class the year they turn 14. 

Costs and Fees

School tuition in academic year 2020/21 is 2500DKK per week in 42 weeks - calculate costs and fees via our main homepage. Additional fees related to study trips in our wide range of co- and extracurricular subjects and activities are to be expected. The amounts may vary from 0DKK-6,000DKK for travels within the European borders, whereas travels outside of Europe may vary from 6,500DKK-12,500DKK in self-payment. Parents are always included in decision-making, and we expect a dialog between learners and parents about all choices made in relation to a stay here. Moreover, parents/learners must expect additional costs related to books used in the international programme - approxiamtely 1,500DKK. Certificates obtained by learners in the subjects: Diving, Sailing and Hunting, are permanent official documents, and costs related to these must therefore also be expected. International learners with no relations in Denmark are expected to add the REC Full Host Package to their stay. See "Internatinal Boarders" under the heading "School Life" on this webpage for further details.

Citizens of Non-EU/EEA and Non-Nordic Countries

Learners who are citizens of other countries than the EU/EEA or Nordic countries need a residence permit to study in Denmark. Please note that citizens of other countries than EU/EEA or Nordic countries can only obtain a residence permit for 1 year according to Danish laws and regulations. For further information on the conditions for study and residence permit, please see:

Applying for a Residence Permit

The application process for a residence permit usually takes a considerable length of time (2-3months) - and you should therefore start the application process immediately upon receipt of the letter of the admission! Contact the international office in order to initiate the application process via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. We will send you necessary documents and important links. You can see the application form (ST1) and find more information about the process here:

Contact the Danish Consulate or Embassy in your country, or affiliated with your country, for more information on how to apply for the residence permit. 

As a general rule you should apply for and receive your residence permit before entering Denmark. Citizens from countries where a visa is required to enter Denmark, cannot enter without a visa or residence permit - and it is not possible to apply after entering Denmark.

Citizens from specific countries are allowed to enter Denmark without a visa for short term stays (visa exemption). Citizens from those specific countries can enter Denmark under this visa free status and apply for residence permit after entering. However, applying after arrival often delay registration processes with Danish authorities - thus, it is preferable to apply prior to arrival if possible.

Find out more from the Danish Immigration Service website "New to Denmark": 

Good to know

  • Application fee: A processing fee must normally be paid when a foreign national applies for a residence permit. For current fee and more information:
  • Biometrics: As of May 20th, 2012, residence permits must contain biometric data on the residence permit holder. The data consists of fingerprints, photo and signature. For more information, contact Danish Consulate or Embassy in your country. 
  • When registering with Ranum Efterskole College it is advisable to send a copy of your passport, so as to inform us that a process of applying for a residence permit will commence subsequently. 

 *Depending on their residency status. Please see information above.


Citizens of EU/EEA and Nordic Countries

EU/EEA citizins and Swiss citizens can live, work and study in DK under the EU regulations on freedom of movement. Consequently, they do not need visitor's visa, residence or work permit. However, they are required to obtain an EU residence document (registration certificate) from the Danish Agency for Immigration and Recruitment if they intend to reside in Denmark for more than 3 months, and also register with the local municipality they take residence in. More information on registration in Denmark can be found here:

Please note that minors have to apply for EU residence document as 'a person with sufficient funds' and not as a student. Contact the international office via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., when initiating the application process in order to receive supporting documents from the school. Processing time is approximately one week.

It is required that all international students have obtained proof of legal residence (visa or EU residence document), prior to their arrival at Ranum Efterskole College. The school will assist with registering international students with the local munipality after the intro period - after which they will receive the Danish yellow health insurance card.


Make sure you dont miss interesting happenings by joining our newsletter program.

Contact us

If you have any questions please contact us with one of the options below.

Connect with us

We're on Facebook. Follow us & get in touch.